Dry eye can be an inconvenience for patients. At Pelham Parkway Vision Center, we treat dry eye and help patients manage their own condition. Whether you’re diagnosed with dry eye or simply suspect that you suffer from this problem, we can help.
What is Dry Eye and How is it Diagnosed
Dry eye is a condition that occurs when a patient lacks enough quality tears to lubricate their own eyes. Dry eye is diagnosed when an eye doctor observes these symptoms and measures the quantity and quality of the patient’s tears.
Dry eye causes red, itchy, irritated eyes. There are many things that can cause dry eye, including age, gender, exposure to smoke and other environmental conditions. Dry eye often occurs later in life, and is often a chronic condition that must be dealt with on an ongoing basis.
How A Bronx Optometrist Can Treat Your Dry Eye
Our Bronx optometrists can treat dry eye in a variety of ways. Below are some of the most common methods that eye doctors use to help patients manage their dry eye condition.
- Artificial tears. Your eye doctor may recommend over the counter artificial tears to help treat your dry eye condition.
- Blocking tear ducts. In some cases, the eye doctor may recommend a procedure that involves blocking the tear ducts to prevent the tears from draining back into the ducts.
- Blinking regularly. Your eyes make more tears when they blink. Blinking regularly helps keep your eyes lubricated.
- Prescription eye drops. If artificial tears don’t work, your eye doctor may prescribe eye drops that increase tear production.
- Taking nutritional supplements. Taking the right supplements may help keep your eyes lubricated.
Contact Your Bronx Optometrist for Dry Eye Treatment
At Pelham Parkway Vision Center in the Bronx, our optometry specialist can help patients improve their condition. By taking the right medicines and by making lifestyle changes, you too can have lubricated, comfortable eyes. Contact us today so we can answer your questions and schedule a consultation for you!